There are moments when Tannehill looks like he really gets it, like on a 13-play drive in the first half against the Falcons when he showed excellent efficiency, both running and passing. Or the time when he was poised enough to throw the ball out of bounds when the play didn’t materialize.
But there are also things he clearly needs to work on. He has a tendency to stare down receivers. His accuracy is off and on. He has trouble with tipped passes. Still, you see the ability. You see the mechanics. You see the potential. You see the smarts. And you want to see more.
• Much improved effort for the first-team defense, holding a very talented Atlanta offense to just three field goals in the first half. That’s the type of effort Joe Philbin and his staff had been expecting. I was especially impressed with the rushing defense. Now, I’d like to see some turnovers.
• Great that
• And if rookie defensive end
• Second-year back
• The more I see fullback
• Love the hurry-up offense. Nice to see a Dolphins offense finally dictating the pace of the game. Now, I want to see them hurry up and score.
• I’m a little concerned that the Dolphins gave up two big pass plays this preseason – one against Tampa Bay, one against Atlanta -- and in each case the defensive back was in position to make the play.
• Once again, two of the most important players on this defense, linebackers
• It’s a shame, by the way, that guard
• Rookie tackle
• Hard to imagine a tougher opening game opponent than the Houston Texans at their place. This is a complete team with no obvious glaring weaknesses and some legitimate playmakers. Arian Foster? Andre Johnson? Matt Schaub? They’ve got talent everywhere.
• It’s not going to be easy cutting down this Dolphins wide receiver group because the talent level from top to bottom is so unbelievably close. It’s just too bad no wide receiver has really emerged from the pack.
• Speaking of wide receivers, this camp has been a forgettable one for
• Cut down time: 90 to 53 before you know it. So many dreams will die so quickly. The sobering side of football.
• One more dress rehearsal Wednesday in Dallas. And then, finally, games that really count.