Tom Garfinkel serves as Vice Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Miami Dolphins and Hard Rock Stadium and Managing Partner of the Formula 1 Crypto.Com Miami Grand Prix.
Tom Garfinkel serves as Vice Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Miami Dolphins and Hard Rock Stadium and Managing Partner of the Formula 1 Crypto.Com Miami Grand Prix. Since his hire in 2013, Garfinkel has led the business turnaround of the Dolphins and Hard Rock Stadium, highlighted by:
- The initiation, creation and execution of a plan to privately fund a more than $550 million renovation of a 27-year-old stadium.
- The extension and design of a multi-year partnership with Baptist Health to construct the $135M state-of-the-art Baptist Health Training Complex in Miami Gardens, which opened in July 2021.
- The sale of more than $1 billion in future contractually obligated suite and sponsorship income, including the in-house sale of naming rights to "Hard Rock Stadium."
- Leading a 10-year agreement for the Miami Grand Prix to be held at Hard Rock Stadium and join the FIA Formula One World Championship in 2022.
- The winning bid for the 2020 Super Bowl and 2021 College Football Playoff National Championship game at Hard Rock Stadium and 2026 FIFA World Cup.
- The highest grossing soccer event in U.S. history in July of 2017 (El Clasico Miami: Real Madrid vs. Barcelona).
- The continuation and growth of the Dolphins Challenge Cancer, which has raised more than $53.8 million to date in donations and made a $75 million commitment to Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Miami.
- The culmination of a partnership with Endeavor to bring the Miami Open tennis tournament to Hard Rock Stadium, with the 2019 debut event setting record attendance numbers and increasing total revenue by nearly 25%.
- Hard Rock Stadium becoming the first NFL stadium to earn GBAC STARTM accreditation, a gold- standard of cleanliness for public facilities, as a result of the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- The elimination of 99.4% of fan facing single-use plastics in Hard Rock Stadium's food and beverage operation.
- The creation of The Outdoor Theaters at Hard Rock Stadium presented by AutoNation, two socially distant entertainment experiences that utilize the existing in-stadium and south plaza video boards.
- The organization being honored in February 2020 by the Fritz Pollard Alliance with the Paul J. Tagliabue Award for their leadership in advancing diversity.
- The team receiving the Front Office Sports Best Employers in Sports Award in 2019 and 2020.
His operating experience includes serving as president and chief executive officer of the San Diego Padres, chief operating officer of the Arizona Diamondbacks and executive vice president of Chip Ganassi Racing's NASCAR, IndyCar and Grand-Am racing teams. Prior to working in sports, Garfinkel held different leadership roles in sales, marketing and branding with Miller Brewing Company and Texaco, Inc.
Garfinkel serves on the board of the Dolphins Challenge Cancer, the National Football Foundation and the Sports Management Advisory Board and Ross School of Business Advisory Board at the University of Michigan.
Garfinkel graduated with a bachelor's degree from the University of Colorado, Boulder, and earned his MBA at the University of Michigan. In October 2020, Garfinkel earned the George Norlin Award, which recognizes outstanding CU Boulder alumni who have demonstrated a commitment to excellence in their chosen field of endeavor and a devotion to the betterment of society and their community. Garfinkel was among Sports Business Journal's Leaders in Diversity and Inclusive Hiring honorees in March 2021.
Garfinkel and his wife, Allison, live in Coral Gables with their three sons.