Miami, FL – The Miami Dolphins and the Ross Initiative in Sports for Equality (RISE) today announced their Week 13 award winners in a program designed to recognize the members of the community who have demonstrated their commitment to being leaders on and off the field.
Each week, the Dolphins identify a high school coach of the week, high school player of the week, youth player of the week and team mom of the week. Award recipients are presented with a plaque on the field during a Dolphins home game at Hard Rock Stadium and receive acknowledgement of their accomplishment in the game program and through the Dolphins' and RISE's social media platforms. They also receive tickets to a Miami Dolphins home game, access to the Dolphins/RISE pregame tailgate and a Dolphins/RISE T-shirt. For each home game, the Dolphins identify a team of the week and they will be on the field during the national anthem. The program concludes at the Dolphins-Patriots game on December 11 where the Dolphins will honor yearly award winners in all categories with the exception of the team of the year.
Week 13 Winners:
• High School Coach of the Week: Pat Surtain from American Heritage High School. The Patriots (11-0) are the fourth ranked team in the nation according to USA Today's Super 25 Expert Rankings. The Patriots defeated Cardinal Gibbons in a triple overtime thriller 58-57. They have now won 25 consecutive victories dating back to last year when they won their third state title.
• High School Player of the Week: Isaias Castellon from Miami High School. Castellon threw three touchdowns to lead the Stingarees to a 28-22 victory over Columbus in the Region 4- 8A final. Castellon has lead his team to a 3-0 record this postseason. The last time the Stingarees won three postseason games and a state championship was 1965.
• Youth Player of the Week: Derrick Arguello from the Palmetto Raiders Peewees (130's) of the Greater Miami South Florida Pop Warner. Arguello, primarily a backup offensive lineman, came into the game after the starting left tackle left the game due to injury. Arguello helped the Raiders to a 24-8 victory over the Ocoee Bulldogs. The win put the Raiders in the Pop Warner National Championship game next week in Orlando. Arguello is a Pop Warner Scholar Athlete with a 3.9 grade point average.
• Team Mom of the Week: Anja Borutta from the Doral Broncos 10U of the Miami Xtreme Youth Football League. Bourtta is a first year team mom and is a team mom without having any of her own kids on the team. This means that she is truly in it for all the players and coaches and volunteers for all the right reasons. She is instrumental in getting her team's books certified and she is an operations extraordinaire. Borutta assists with all game day set up and breakdown, as well as equipment give away and uniform collection. She is a coaching staff's dream, because she does all of the heavy lifting to ensure that her players and coaches are successful on the field. Her dedication and loyalty to the Doral Broncos is the reason why her coaches and players believe they are the best in the Miami Xtreme Football League.
• Team of the Week: Cooper City/Davie Colts. The Colts are coached by Pro Football Hall of Famer and Dolphins alum Jason Taylor. Taylor proudly supports youth football at all levels in South Florida as he is also an assistant coach at St. Thomas Aquinas High School.