Five snapshots from the Dolphins-Panthers series …
1. Nov. 15, 1998 — The first game in the series was a low-scoring affair, with the Dolphins pulling out a 13-9 victory at Carolina. Dolphins running back Karim Abdul-Jabbar rushed for 127 yards and the only touchdown of the game, but it was the defense that led the way with linebacker Robert Jones getting two of Miami's four sacks and safety Brian Walker coming up with two interceptions, including one to end Carolina's last drive. The Dolphins clinched the victory when Dan Marino threw a 5-yard pass to Oronde Gadsden on fourth-and-3 from the Carolina 33 right after the two-minute warning.
2. Nov. 4, 2001 —The Dolphins defense dominated this game also, with Patrick Surtain returning an interception 29 yards for a touchdown in a 23-6 victory at Miami. The defense came up with four sacks against three different Carolina quarterbacks: Chris Weinke, Dameyune Craigh and Matt Lytle. Oronde Gadsden had five catches for 102 yards and Olindo Mare kicked three field goals for the Dolphins.
3. Sept. 25, 2005 —There was more offense in this thrilling affair in Miami, which the Dolphins won 27-24 on a last-second field goal by Olindo Mare set up by an interception and 37-yard return by safety Lance Schulters. The game also noteworthy as the first of 15 career 100-yard rushing performances for Ronnie Brown, who the Dolphins had made the second overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft. Brown finished with 132 yards, thanks to a 58-yard run in the fourth quarter. Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith had three touchdown catches in the game.
4. Nov. 19. 2009 —The only previous time the Dolphins faced Carolina at night was a Thursday game at Bank of America Stadium, and it turned into the Ricky Williams show. The Dolphins running back ended with 119 rushing yards and scored all three Miami touchdowns in a 24-17 victory. The last one was a 46-yard run that gave the Dolphins a 24-14 lead with 3:55 remaining in the fourth quarter. On defense, linebacker Joey Porter had two sacks.
5. Nov. 24, 2013 —The teams' last meeting came down to the final minute, although it was Carolina that pulled out the victory this time, 20-16. Cam Newton converted a fourth-and-10 with a 19-yard pass to Steve Smith early in a drive that ended with a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Greg Olsen with 43 seconds left. Mike Wallace had five catches for 127 yards and a touchdown for the Dolphins, while QB Ryan Tannehill passed for 310 yards and led the team in rushing with 36 yards.